Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
The Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Subcommittee is accepting community project requests for the following accounts:
- Agricultural Research Service (ARS), Buildings and Facilities
- Rural Development, Rural Community Facility Grants
- Rural Utilities Service, ReConnect Grants
To see the full guidance from this Subcommittee, please click here. All requests must comply with underlying statutory and regulatory requirements.
To submit a request, click on the link for the appropriate account to download the submission template.
Agricultural Research Service (ARS), Buildings and Facilities
Facility requests must be for ARS-owned facilities or for facilities that will enhance ongoing ARS work. Requests can assist in the acquisition of land, construction, repair, improvement, extension, alteration, and purchase of fixed equipment or facilities as necessary to carry out the agricultural research programs of the Department of Agriculture.
Rural Development, Rural Community Facility Grants
Grants to purchase, construct, or improve essential community facilities, to purchase equipment, and pay other related project expenses.
- Includes, but not limited to, healthcare facilities, public facilities, public safety measures, educational services, or other community support services.
- Examples of eligible projects include; medical or dental clinics, towns halls, courthouses, childcare centers, police or fire departments, public works vehicles, or distance learning equipment.
- Must serve a rural area as specified in 7 CFR 3570.53.
- Subject to the maximum grant assistance limitations specified in 7 CFR 3570.63(b).
- Grants generally cannot be used to pay initial operating expenses or annual recurring expenses, refinance existing debt, pay interest, build or repair facilities in non-rural areas, or pay for construction costs of facilities that will be used for commercial rental space.
Rural Utilities Service, ReConnect Grants
Grants to facilitate broadband deployment in rural areas that lack sufficient access to broadband.
- Funds can be used for the costs of construction, improvement, or acquisition of facilities and equipment needed to provide broadband service.
- A rural area is any area which is not located within:
- A city, town, or incorporated area that has a population of greater than 20,000 inhabitants; or
- an urbanized area contiguous and adjacent to a city or town that has a population of greater than 50,000 inhabitants.
- Sufficient access to broadband is defined as greater than 90% of any rural area in which households have fixed, terrestrial broadband service delivering at least 10 Mbps downstream and 1 Mbps upstream.
- Mobile and satellite services will not be considered in making the determination of sufficient access to broadband.
- Stand-alone middle-mile projects are not eligible under the ReConnect Program. However, middle-mile facilities are eligible if they are needed to bring sufficient broadband service to all premises in the area.